Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Motivational Monday: my inspiration. my women.

Do you ever hear a song that takes you back to a time or place or reminds you of a person? You do. Of course you do. Everyone does. They write songs about these kinds of songs. I have a bunch.

There are two in particular that remind me of two women in my life. They're played out and they actually annoy me, but they make me laugh and smile when I think of these women. 

And these women are my motivational Monday. Ok, that was a convoluted way to get to it, but every time I hear Macklemore "Ceiling Can't Hold Us," I think of Carol at my boot camps, who thought the lyrics to the song were "like the silly can holders" and I think of how I need to make a post in tribute to them. 

Carol is amazing. Short, spunky, football loving lady. She and her hubby travel the world and she's always posting amazing photos of their travels. Every class with Carol is more fun because she's always laughing. Her laugh is contagious and makes every workout seem easier. 

Also at boot camp is Miss Alice. She's a senior Olympian. Yea. She competes in the senior Olympics. This past weekend, she travelled back to D.C. for her college reunion. She said, "Class of '69!" I said, "Alice, that's when my dad graduated high school!" She said, "No... that's when I graduated college. I graduated high school in '65!" She's four years older than my father and only misses bootcamp to travel. She's incredible.

Finally, there's Ginger, my running buddy. Ginger is eight months out from a double knee surgery. She's the reason I hit the trail every week and, often, the reason I'll go one more mile whether I'm running with her or not. We talk about our aches and pains and she always jokes, "talk to me when you're my age." All I hope is that I'm still doing it in my 30's (which aren't so far away, Ging!)

I've got a MM that says to push yourself because no on else is going to do it for you. This is true. At the end of the day, I've laced up and lifted the weights or run the mileage. But these women... these women are the reason why. They're not the only ones, of course. There's Coach A, who runs marathons all over America and Carlene and Kelly who work daily to test the limits of their bodies. There's Lady Mumps, who kills it in crossfit competitions. There are a ton of them. Still, as I edit this I think of more. I don't think I'm anyone's inspiration, but I'm so glad to have these women in my life as mine. 

Here's to you, my Motivational Friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment