Day 23: Growing up, the question, “what’s it taste like” was always answered with, “try it and find out.” Rarely did a new food appear in front of me that I wasn’t encouraged, or even required, to try. I distinctly remember the first time I ate fried calamari as a child. My father said, “try it and then I’ll tell you what it is.” Fully aware this was a sneaky trick to get me to eat something I wouldn’t try knowing it’s American name, but that there was no way to get out of eating it, I dug in. It was delicious and I loved it. “It’s squid” he remarked with too much joy (oh, to be a parent and antagonize young minds). I would have liked to be disgusted, but it was too late, I enjoyed it and now it’s my favorite Italian appetizer.
When I put “try a new ethnic food” on my 365 List, I wasn’t
entirely sure how I would check it off. Truthfully, I was afraid haggis was in
my future and I’m not sure the sanctity of the list is important enough for
that mess! I’m not so cultured, though
that I have tried everything. There’s an entire world’s worth of cultural foods
for me to try. In fact, in my own town there is an array of different culture’s
dining experiences for me to try. When the
opportunity arose for me to have Brazilian, I was delighted. My friends called
it “meat night.” I called it Day 23!
The reason they were calling it “meat night” is because we
went to an authentic Brazilian restaurant called Brazeiro’s Churrascaria
(pronounced: shoe-RHAS-ska-ree-ya), at which your main course consists of 12
different cuts of meat. The experience is like none other.
Your meal begins with a salad bar, complete with a number of
authentic southern Brazilian starters, including heart of palm, fresh steamed
asparagus and other salad dishes. I was delighted, yet confused to see Italian
salami and mozzarella at the bar, until it was explained to me that Brazil has
one of the largest Italian populations outside of Italy, thus making some of
their native foods authentic to Brazilian culture as well. I was advised to
partake in the salad bar sparingly, as the main dishes to come would be courses
to be reckoned with.
The group of us talked and sipped on Argentinean red wine
and caipirinhas (pron: kie-purr-REEN-yah), Brazil’s national cocktail made with
cachaça (pron: ka-sha-sa), sugar and lime. Cachaça is sugarcane hard liquor,
similar to rum, however less prevalent due to it’s limited availability outside
of Brazil. If you’re looking for a sweet, refreshing feel good drink, I highly
recommend a caipirinha. Before the cachaça had time to make us float, we were
approached by the gaucho chefs.
This would be a good time to explain how a Churrascaria
works. The southern Brazilian style of food is centuries old. However,
Brazeiro’s boasts “a modern interpretation, yet an authentic experience, of
Southern Brazil’s heritage.” Churrasco (pron: shoe-RHAS-ko) is essentially
Brazilian barbeque. At its conception, Gauchos would dig pits, build a fire
then cook skewered meats over the embers. In it’s new-school interpretation of
this ritual, Brazeiro’s gaucho chefs offer non-stop tableside service with
personal cuts of perfectly seasoned and cooked skewered meats; including beef,
chicken, pork, sausage and lamb in twelve variations.
As a consumer, it is your job to let the chefs know when you
are ready for more and when you need a moment. And, trust me, you will need a
moment. I recommend this experience with a large party of friends who know how
to talk. You’ll need something to ensure you pace yourself. In the event you
bring a small party, the restaurant offers a two-sided coaster card to help you
slow your consumption. One side is green and reads, “Si, Por Favor”, Portuguese
for “Yes, Please.” This lets the gauchos know you are ready to take whatever
cuts of meat they are offering as they circle your table, like reverse
vultures. The flip side is red and reads “Nao, Obrigado”, Portuguese for “No,
Thank You!” The gauchos will continue to bring cuts of meat to your table until
all diners’ cards are turned over to red.
The meat dishes are accompanied by a family style serving of
three or four sides. The most notable of these were caramelized plantains,
fried polentas and garlic seasoned mashed potatoes. The amount of food to chose
from is overwhelming, not only quantity but in cultural revelation. It is
satiating. This first timer highly recommends it.
As they say in Brasil when toasting an occasion, “Saúde!”
(pron: saw-OO-de).
Day 23: try new ethnic food
Day 24: got to coffee shop and write
Day 25: clean the whole house
Day 26: Skype with my nephew
Day 27: arts and crafts (made a gift for my friends' new baby)
Day 28: veg in bed (ok, ok, I cheated with this one but even God built in a day of rest!)
Day 29: go for a run
Day 30: bring parking attendant at work hot chocolate
all pictures and a great deal of information regarding the tradition of Brazeiro's dining experience were found at http://brazeiros.com/
all pictures and a great deal of information regarding the tradition of Brazeiro's dining experience were found at http://brazeiros.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment