"America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."
- Tennessee Williams
New Orleans isn’t the tourist trap on Bourbon that most people
imagine it to be. When people think of New Orleans, they think of nightlife and
a big party scene. In between downtown and uptown, though, is an entire world
that the average NOLA visitor doesn’t get to know about. It feels like a big
neighborhood. In fact, one of the city’s most popular streets is St. Charles,
which wraps around the entire city and is lined with beautiful French style
houses and mansions – think Creole Townhouses with wrought iron balconies and
fencing, lacey Victorian motifs and shotgun houses with small semi-wrap around
covered porches. Think grand. Think comfortable. Think welcoming. The people in
the area are all too friendly. They have a casual way about them that makes you
feel privy to the secrets of the city.
On my first run Monday morning, I ran
down Magazine Street – NOLA’s own Fifth Ave – I quickly approached a gentleman
leaving a café and he stepped out of my way. As is running etiquette, I
apologized and he very enthusiastically shouted after me, “Not a problem at
all, miss!” This is the general demeanor of all New Orleansians. I attribute it
to the city’s deep routed jazz scene. Jazz music relies heavily on
improvisation and an ability to appreciate the unexpected. Life in NOLA
embraces these ideals. The people work and make livings for themselves, but
they have an obvious nonchalant disposition that makes a visitor never want to
leave. And trust me, I didn’t.
My first night in New Orleans, I had dinner at Byblos, a
Mediterranean restaurant on Magazine Street. I enjoyed a beef shawarma with
rice and hummus. Having never eaten shawarma before, I don’t have much to
compare it to but it was fantastic.
Monday started with a run to Audobon Park, near Tulane and
Loyola Universities. The two are laid out so closely to one another, it’s a
wonder freshmen don’t accidentally attend classes at the wrong University. The
park connects St. Charles Ave and Magazine, so I ran up St. Charles, around the
park and back down Magazine. I included some photos from the run in my Running Revelations piece. I took myself shopping for the first time this entire trip
on Magazine Street. I realized on my run that I was in desperate need of new
shoes, within a mile of having this though I ran past a runners’ store on
Magazine – it was quite serendipitous. I set out to find the store, Southern Runner, intending
to only buy new shoes. I ended up buying some sweet new ASICS Gel Frantic 4 Shoes (Black / Black / Mage) - Women's Shoes - 6.0 M (Google Affiliate Ad),
bungee laces and two running tops – oops. It didn’t end there, though, on my
walk back down Magazine I decided to jump into some of the boutiques I’d seen
on my run. I wandered in hoping to find some Christmas gifts – or maybe I just
used that as an excuse to shop because I ended up finding only pieces for
myself. My favorite was an oversized sweater from this super chic little shop
called Blink. The sweater was reminiscent of Jennifer Aniston’s sweater in
Wanderlust, and as this trip is my own little quest to satisfy a thirst to
explore, I felt it appropriate and well worth the money. The sales girl was one
of my favorite people I’ve met so far on the trip. She had a northern accent,
so I can only assume it was our roots that bonded us, but she was one of those
associates that tells you honestly whether a purchase is worth it or not. As a
sales person, I know part of it was a tactic to make me feel comfortable so
that I’d spend money, but it worked and I bought a couple of cute items that
were maybe more expensive than I would’ve liked but it was from Magazine Street
so it was totally just!
You can turn any corner and find live music. Some
representative of New Orleans’ jazz roots and others folk-y and southern
sounding. There are little treasures hidden throughout; I found a small New
Orleans boutique filled with all sorts of French decorations and trinkets.
All in all, I loved my New Orleans experience. It was an
unexpected surprise.
No tallies for NOLA, just my heart! (Tacky, yes, but NOLA
won’t mind… it never does!)



No comments:
Post a Comment