I’ve never been one for resolutions. It seems they’re just a
way to set yourself up for failure, creating a greater feeling of inadequacy
than that which led you set the resolution in the first place. People do it
every New Year, though; they promise to seldom drink, frequently call, eat
less, work more, stop smoking, or start jogging, and so on and so forth. These
are empty promises that are broken within however many weeks, a feeling of
failure sets in and the promise falls to the wayside. I appreciate the
symbolism of a New Year representing a new beginning. However, I don’t think
that the clock striking midnight is a reset button on your life. You’re still
the same you at 12:01 am that you were at 11:59 pm. Don’t misunderstand; I
think any decision to better one’s life is a good one, a great one, even! I’m
simply questioning the way in which we go about it.
Not to discourage any avid resolvers, but statistics will
show that anywhere from 60 to 92 percent of people will not faithfully execute
their annual pledge. Often it’s because people are unrealistic with their
goals. They set goals that would be “nice to keep” but they don’t necessarily need to keep. They set too many goals. They set goals but
don’t create plans of action. Or they set goals, not because they feel the need
to make a change but because the New Year warrants it. By mid-January they
typically fail. How can we combat this inevitable cycle of failure? You could
resolve to break your resolutions? But then, you would keep it. I thought about
resolving to drink more, eat crap and workout less but unless my sole purpose
in life is to keep a New Year’s resolution, that’s not a path to success. My
sister’s solution to the resolution debacle is to make a vow each month. What’s
28-31 days? Hardly anything in comparison to 365 days. I’m someone who can
abstain from something for so many days, like French fries at work, but once I
have one it’s a all over. I’ve ruined my good streak, sullied my name, rolled
that first snowball and sent it down the mountainside. Nevermind allowing
myself a slip, after all, I’m only human. Realizing this about myself, I’ve
decided not to give myself an entire yearlong challenge but, instead, a year of
daily challenges. What’s a single day? Nothing in comparison to 365!
I’ve started composing a list of 365 things that I can do
each day over the course of the year. The list is comprised of things as simple
as “go to lunch and dramatically over-tip my server” or “Skype with my nephew”
to more grand tasks like “take a trip to the Ashville Hot Springs” or “run ten
miles.” There are silly things on there like “speak in the third person all
day.” And I’ve included some gimme days like “write about this endeavor thus
far” (Day 6: check!) The list includes random acts of kindness like “pay for
the person behind me in a drive thru” or “bake something for everyone at work.”
There are also challenges like “make a pot roast” and “run a half marathon.”
First time undertakings like “bet on a horse” and “rock climb.” Anything I’ve
never done, want to do, or enjoy doing that might make anyone around me,
including myself, feel good is list worthy.
Currently, the list sits at 170 items. Initially, I had
hoped to compose a list of 365 items to have everyday laid out ahead of time.
But that would mean I wouldn’t have room for additions as opportunities arise.
And to lie out every day’s task ahead of time leaves no room for spontaneity.
I’m going with a “My Name Is Earl” method of checking things off; when an
opportunity is presented, I capitalize and check something else off the list!
Some days will require advance planning. Others will require a lot of money
(I’ve built in days to save and set aside money for this exact reason). Some are
hopefully going to make others smile. Others are going to make me feel really
foolish. They should all be fun and challenging. This will definitely be an
experiment in humility and determination, but character building and fulfilling
nonetheless.
So, in light of the New Year and in spite of my anti-resolution resolve, I set forth to do SOMETHING everyday. I will make my life and the lives of the people around me richer through my ever day actions and activities.
Feel free to contribute to the list. I’ve written in a piece
about resolutions before that I don’t believe we need a New Year to become
better versions of ourselves. So whether it’s that the New Year happened to
come at a time when I am ready to be a better version of myself or that I
decided it because it was a New Year, the challenge is accepted and the game is
afoot.
Stay tuned for more on the challenge. You never know how I
might embarrass myself trying to climb something or where I might end up. I may
even be doing something for you! The possibilities are truly endless (well,
except that there are only 365 of them). In the meantime, go forth and be
great! And Happy New Year!
Day 1: Make a list
Day 2: Do something that’s right even if it hurts
Day 3: Finish Spinning My Wheels road trip blog
Day 4: Pay It Forward
Day 5: Bring goodies to work
Day 6: Write about this experience thus far.
No comments:
Post a Comment