Sunday, December 2, 2012

Texas: It's Like a Whole Other Country


Texas is a different place. I’ve heard people joke that Texas could secede and become it’s own country. That it is sustainable without the other 49 states and beyond that; it’s ginormous (yup, that’s a word today). As you drive west into Texas on Interstate 10, the first exit is 880. That means there are eight hundred and eighty exits on that roadway. That’s eight hundred and eighty latitudinal miles! That’s almost a third the length of the entire country coast to coast. Geographically, it’s large enough to be it’s own country. And why shouldn’t it be?

The remarkableness of the state is immediate as you cross the state line. Not only in it’s size but in that the speed limit jumps to 75 mph. On a journey such as mine, this is much appreciated especially considering that I was doing 10 over the limit throughout the trip anyway. The way I see it, the speed limit is just a friendly suggestion. Wait… you can’t retroactively get a ticket for traffic violations by admitting guilt, can you? Surely not. Well, just in case, I’ll remind all authority figures capable of issuing such a citation that I’m a crazy person, prone to lying. None of that speeding stuff was true. 75 mph was legal, though, which was fantastic and kind of fun even in my Jeep. I’d never seen the speed limit so high; Texas has no fear. Texas makes it’s own rules (I realize that it does, in fact, make it’s own rules but I mean this as an expression of its independence). I’d hate to lose Texas as one of the 50 great United States and the consequences for the rest of the country would be costly considering the other 49 of us would have to import gas and beef and George Straight, but Texas could, absolutely, sustain itself.

“Don’t mess with Texas,” “Everything’s bigger in Texas,” “God bless Texas.” With taglines like these the pride of the state is palpable from anywhere in the world. Perhaps, it’s the predisposed stereotype in my mind but I could feel the pride in excess while I walked the streets of Austin, the state capitol. The police officers actually wore cowboy hats as their uniform. The Lone Star adorned seemingly every building. Texas is a proud place. And rightfully so.

The Best Darn Burrito You Ever Ate… you’re darn tootin!
Like most countries, Texas has its own style of food. The birthplace of the original fusion cuisine, Tex Mex. The state boasts some of the most delicious Mexican/American food this Italian Jersey Girl has every tasted. Note: this, from a girl who generally dislikes Mexican food. Cabo Bob’s, Taco Cabana, the original Chuy’s in Austin. With some of the largest burritos and freshest meats, I ate like a Mexican princess in Texas. Austin is a something foodie city with food trucks for seemingly everything. You want a hot dog? Food truck. You want a salad? Food truck. You want a taco? Food truck.

We’re Goin’ to State!
Texas’ national sport would be… no drum roll necessary: football. My time in Dallas was consumed with football, collegiate and professional. So, it was alright. I mean, if you like that sort of thing. Which, I DO! I spent Saturday in Stillwater, OK for the Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma State game. The thing to do in Stillwater before the game is go to Eskimo Joe’s. It’s about a block away from the stadium and it’s massive. It’s two stories with the second floor being open so that you can look down on the collection of football fans below. The entire establishment is seat yourself on gameday, which sounds simple enough, however it was no small feat finding a table. The place was packed! The open second floor makes you feel a bit like a vulture circling carcasses as you wait to pounce on a table closing out their tab. We managed to snag a nice big table but since there were only three of us, we invited other Texas Tech fans to join us. The camaraderie and fellowship of the Big 12 was really pleasant. Generally, you expect people to give you a hard time because you’re with the visiting team, but they weren’t like that here. Being a Tennessee Volunteer fan, I found myself having a bit of an identity crisis cheering against the orange team whilst wearing red on a Saturday. It was nice to see the orange team win for a change, though. The OSU stadium was small. It wasn’t, really, but compared to what I’m used to in Neyland Stadium, I found it relatively unremarkable. I guess I’m spoiled. 
Sunday, however, was a different story. We went to the Cowboys game in Arlington, TX. Cowboys Stadium has the same capacity as Neyland, however its structure is considerably larger. We were incredibly fortunate to watch the game from a field side suite. It was amazing. The Cowboys’ cheerleaders were in front of us the entire game. They rotate each quarter, so you get to see all 36 girls throughout the game. And if you want to talk about spoiled, the people who watch the game from the suite regularly noted how the girls get in the way of the game. This is true, I spent most of the game straining to see through them or looking up at the giganto-tron (not “jumbo,” gigantic). But let’s be real, here, they’re the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders! They’re never “in the way.” This, from a straight girl. The highlight of the game was absolutely when Tony Romo, surprise surprise, over threw a ball intended for Jason Witten, former Vol extraordinaire, leading him straight to our box. He actually knocked over my friend’s beer that was sitting on the railing. He was a hulking beast of a man and he looked pretty angry, I’m going to assume because he’s tired of Romo sucking. I could be wrong. But probably not. After the weekend, I feel safe saying that football and Texas are relatively synonymous. There’s a reason movies like Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights resonate.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
It’s amazing how every place has history. Every place has its story. Texas is the Lone Star state, a reminder of the state’s struggle to secede from Mexico. Each city in Texas, like states in a country, has it’s own unique personality. Moses and Stephen F. Austin founded Austin. Moses petitioned to settle the area and upon his passing, his son Stephen executed the plan. Austin represents this piece of their history in the feeling of creation and building anew that it’s people foster. The capitol building is the largest state capitol in the nation. It was built to emulate the Nation’s Capitol building and it evokes the same feeling of grandeur.

It’s Like a Whole Other Country
My final submission to Texas’ petition to be it’s own country is that I felt like a foreigner there. It was beautiful and lovely to visit, but in no place did I feel like I could do anything more than visit. I enjoyed traveling its roads and taking in its favorite past time, but I don’t think I have it in me to be a Texan. Maybe its because I’m from New Jersey and there’s only room in my heart for one obnoxiously boisterous state, but ultimately it wasn’t for me.
Texas’ state motto is “friendship” and while they are a prideful group, no doubt capable of seceding the union, I don’t think it’s in their nature to abandon the rest of us. Just in case, though, go ahead and stock up on beef!

No comments:

Post a Comment