This story begins with an idea. The idea stems from a feeling of exhaustion. Pure exasperation with the place I am – not only geographically, but also in my life. I am 27 years old – or 27 years young, depending on you’re outlook – and I am exhausted with my life. Quick and dirty: I’ve been spinning my wheels for the five plus years since my graduation from college. I did the good girl thing and finished school in four years – a rarity nowadays – and I had a moderately impressive four years. I was involved on campus; student government, Ambassador Scholar, sorority life, Cum Laude and a long-term boyfriend. I was really good at college. But now, five years later, it seems a lot like my career maxed out in college. Am I the Brady Quinn of life? Did I peak at 22?! Is that possible? It can’t be, right? RIGHT?!
I still live in my college town, precious little city that it is. It’s a
wonderful place with suburb and mini-city life, a stone’s throw from mountains
and lakes, and the center of the universe for tradition and college football.
It’s fantastic. Even more so if you're actually in college. Here I am, though, five years later still living
the life of a 22 year old. I think this town perpetuates that. A good number of
the people I meet here are either still in college on a 17 year program or they
wish they still were – or at least act like they still are. This town is one
that thrives on the social scene, if you’re not out drinking on Friday or
Saturday night, you may as well not exist. There are two expressions about this
place that I think sum it up pretty well; first is: it is the Bermuda Triangle
of the Appalachians – essentially if you come here, you are never heard from
again. The second is: the city is like a couch; once you sit down it’s hard to
get back up. Welp, I sat down. Send me a beer wench, order in pizza, pass me
the clicker, I sat down nine years ago and am pretty well wedged in. Except
that I’m tired and I don’t want to sit anymore. I want to get up. I’m restless
and unfulfilled. I’ve grown weary of this couch and my life.
This story begins with an idea and that idea is that I need
out of this place… bad!
So… I’m going. I got this idea in my head that while I
didn’t know where I might go or what I might do, that didn’t mean I couldn't still go. I’ve designed a road trip that will take me to 13 cities in 30 days;
visiting friends and loved ones, taking in a couple football games and even the
wedding of two dear friends along the way. I plan to work on my job search by
discovering which cities I may have contacts in or can make contacts in any of
the fields I’m looking into (it’s pretty broad). I want to visit downtown
areas, write in coffee shops and run along rivers. I have no expectations for
this trip except that it will mean I am not here for, at the very least, 30
days and that it will be an adventure. So, come with me and see what happens. If you have anything to contribute to my experience, I'm open to it. I know almost nothing of the cities I'm going to and would appreciate any assistance! Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment